Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Creating a custom halftone pattern.

I'm trying to create a halftone pattern using a custom pattern. I have tried the bitmap route, i.e BITMAP/CUSTOM PATTERN but this just tiles the pattern at a fixed size varying the thickness depending on the shade. I need a halftone pattern that scales.



Does anyone know how to do this?
Creating a custom halftone pattern.
Sorry version is CS3.
Creating a custom halftone pattern.
James Talmadge has an impressive Script that does this, albeit in Adobe Illustrator, named 禄Faux Halftone芦.

See the first entry:

http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3c05cfab/0



Its application is somewhat time-consuming and it provides only semi-automation, but I consider it remarkable non the less.

Plus being in Illustrator one can 禄randomize芦 the resulting instances of Symbols by globally applying Effect 聽Distort %26amp; Transform Transform, for example enter an Angle and set to Random, if one wishes.

What pattern do you want to use?

Thanks Christoph, how do you install the script though?



I don't need any particular symbol, I would like to know how to do it so I could apply any simple symbol as a halftone. I saw an example on spin.co.uk. On the studio projects page under posters and it's page 4.

Put the .js- or .jsx-file into Adobe Illustrator CS3 聽Presets 聽Scripts, after starting Illustrator anew it should be available under File 聽Scripts.

JET also provides a tutorial as a pdf, without which You will probably not get anywhere with the Script, so read that please.

Ive looked at the example You mentioned and I think 禄Faux Halftone芦 will help You there.



Though I cant rule out that there might be more convenient ways to do it.

Yeah I saw the tutorial on how to use it but couldn't work out what to do with the script. What you have said certainly clears that up. Thanks for your help!



I would be keen to know if there are any plugins for illustrator or photoshop (mac) that do a similar thing but in a less time consuming manner. I know there is one on the PC called Halftone 2.0 that allows you to use custom symbols as the basis of your halftone pattern.

Sorry, but I dont know of any such plugins.



Allow me to point out an additional advantage of doing it in Illustrator though: One can easily change the form and size of the dots by editing the Symbol.

Unfortunately the grid itself cannot be edited that conveniently

No comments:

Post a Comment